Monday, June 22, 2015

It's Our Universe- Celebrating Five Years of Her Universe


Today Her Universe celebrates 5 years of business. Do you think it's just another clothing store?

If you do, you are so wrong.

Quick back-story. I became a Star Wars fan about a year before Her Universe launched. I had no close friends at the time, much less any friends who were interested in discussing the theories and myths behind the numerous forms of lightsaber combat and colors of crystals. (heh.) I could find no clothes, and was under a constant siege of negativity from the public that thought Star Wars was for boys only.

But Her Universe changed that.

After the HU launch, I suddenly went from being a lone-wolf fangirl to a member of a fangirl army. (With Ashley Eckstein as our fearless leader, of course.)

I made tons of new fangirl friends, many of which I'm still friends with today.

But mostly, I just want to thank Ashley Eckstein for believing in the fangirls; for giving us a chance. I would like to thank her for smiling and laughing and giving me an extra hug when I met her years ago as a hyperactive teenager and chewed her ears off gushing over Star Wars. I don't know if she still has the picture I gave her, but I thank her for taking it with a grin. I would like to thank her for all the work she does. Her Universe is more than a company. It's a family.

A lot has changed these past 5 years. I'm no longer a insecure teenager, but a confident young woman. My fangirl friends are now all grown and getting married (gasp). But what will never change is the support and love shared between the fangirl community. We all come from such different backgrounds, but we're all part of the Her Universe family.

I'm happy.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! :) Ashley's work has brought so much good to the Star Wars and fangirl communities, and that's great that it brought you so many friends. And the clothes are pretty cool too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clothes are second to none! I'm still holding out for a Captain Rex shirt though. *grumbles*

      Thanks for the comment, Arda!

      Delete